DON'T BE AFRAID TO SUCK

creativity takes courage It's a new month and that means it's time to try a new method for sparking creativity. Wahoo! March will be dedicated to simply creating more. Milton Glaser said "All great artists and thinkers are great workers." I trust that guy. Let's give it a shot.

I've learned so much about myself doing this Be Creative project. Trying new things last month definitely made my life more interesting, but I didn't feel more creative. I didn't have more ideas or great ideas. I felt overwhelmed. I think this month I'll have better results. I'll be focusing on brainstorming, powering through, and being more prolific - a method of creation that comes more naturally to me... so American, huh?

SO how do I plan to create more? Well I've decided on an interesting and terrifying plan. I'm opening a society6 shop for the month of March where I'll create and upload prints (and tote bag designs!) on a regular basis as a way to get my ideas out. I'm always taking pictures, playing with text, and creating graphics for my blog posts, but only 10% of it actually gets published on the blog. This shop will be where the other 90% lives. Ohhh man.

It's terrifying, right? I mean putting your work out there for the world to see is scary. I'm an artist and I'm sensitive about my shit...

The fact that having a society6 shop scares me is reason enough to do it. But more than that, when it comes to being creative we have to welcome bad ideas; we have to embrace the suck. In this article, the author talks about the importance of being prolific and embracing failure. Artists like Picasso and Van Gogh created thousands and thousands of works. Were all of them good? Hells to the no. Creating a masterpiece is often a numbers game. Create enough and you'll get there.

So this month I'm going to embrace every idea I have and put it out there. Along with the society6 shop, I'm also planning a diy series, and brainstorming the heck out of some new blog posts. Time to take the pressure off and enjoy creating even if it's not my best idea EVER. My ego might take a beating this month... but hey, a bad day for the ego is a good day for the soul.

WHAT HELPS YOU CREATE YOUR BEST WORK? POWERING THROUGH OR TAKING A BREAK?

 

Follow my adventures on the gram (@erin_artsocial) for a behind the scenes look at the Be Creative project and catch up on past posts here.

Image by artsocial; quote by Henri Matisse.