Month two of my blog happiness project is underway. My goal for October is to GROW. Isn't a blogger's goal always to grow you ask? Heck yes, my friends. But my intention is to grow via social media. I admitted in Sunday's post that when I first started blogging, I read a whole book about Twitter. Sad, yes? Nerdy? I don't even need to answer that. I guess that's the eternal grad student in me - if you don't know something, read a book about it.
Anyhoo, before blogging I wasn't very active on social media. Now that I want to share, I want to learn more about how to share effectively. I want to spend more time engaging on Twitter, using Pinterest more strategically instead of pinning willy nilly, and taking advantage of the power of Facebook instead of simply updating my page with new blog posts. I want to be more thoughtful about what I'm putting out there. After all, each post, pin, and 'gram is an extension of my brand. I gots to represent, y'all.
I'm hoping my blog happiness project posts this month can act as a how-to on what to do (or not to do) to grow; a guide for all of you who are navigating the murky waters of social media too. Let's figure this thang out together, shall we?
Facebook is my biggest hurdle, I just don't quite know what to do with it. So that's where I'm starting. The super rad Amanda Genther recently posted some great tips on how to use Facebook to find clients. Looking for clients or not, her advice on how to engage your fans is gold. I plan on trying all this shiz... join me?
- Post behind-the-scenes photos. I do this already on Instagram, but I tend to only share the photos on Twitter. I get super shy about sharing on Facebook for some reason... but from here on out, I'm sharing every 'gram on fb.
- Ask questions. Umm... I promise I'll come up with some good questions.
- Post quotes that resonate with you. LOVE this one! I'm obsessed with inspirational quotes... I'm stoked to start this one.
- Post industry-relevant news. More art-related goodness comin' atcha.
- Link to your blog. Now this bit of advice is the BEST - instead of writing a small description and pasting your link (which brings up a tiny thumbnail), upload a photo that you used in your blog post, then add a description and a shortened link. I use bitly to shorten my links. Love them. Linking to your blog this way looks so much nicer.
Thank you, Amanda. Read the full post here.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on social media, friendies. Some would say it's not about having a large number of fans but having fans who are engaged - would you agree? Social media is really the best way for bloggers to connect with like-minded folks and build community... in the end, that's what it's all about, right?
Let's talk happiness! Link up below, k? Oh! and if you have any Facebook tips for me, that would make me one happy little blogger...
Image by artsocial.