Guys. I hate wasting paper. I'm so extremely conscious of wasting paper, this complex might be a few quirks away from full-on dementia (Seinfeld reference, anyone?). I actually may have eco-anxiety... no not really. I have stacks of paper "saved" from work and college - meant for the trash or recycle bin - that dates back to 2010. My thinking at the time was that I'd use it for scratch paper, note-taking paper, grocery list-making paper... um yeah or just let it pile up into a fire hazard. SO when Louise of Laid Off Mom contacted me about doing a DIY Date with washi tape (yay!), I knew I wanted to incorporate my pile of "saved" paper. My idea? Mini notebooks with a little washi tape pizazz...
Mini Notebooks + Washi Tape
Life post-college and grad school means no more notebooks. Sure, I could carry around a full-size 5 Star notebook, but then I'd be that girl. Let's get real. Mini notebooks are much more practical. These little gems measure roughly 3 x 4 inches... I discovered I hate measuring and cutting things in a straight line by the way. Made for some interesting notebooks. Anyhoo, I wanted to add some funny/motivational words to the cover, but that's totally optional. If you'd rather leave out the words and let the washi tape do all the talking, then right on... and you can skip the first step.
what you need
- computer + printer
- white paper (recycled scrap paper is optional, but recommended :) don't give me more eco-anxiety)
- brown kraft paper for the cover
- WASHI TAPE
what to do
- using Microsoft Word or Photoshop, create any message you'd like for the cover and print it out onto the brown kraft paper. Set aside.
- cut white paper into 6 x 4 inch (width x height) sheets and fold them in half.
- cut brown kraft paper into slightly larger sheets, 6.25 x 4.25 inches should do it. Fold in half.
- fit folded white paper into folded brown kraft paper cover.
- lay flat and staple twice along the spine.
- you're ready to washi. Decorate however you'd like... and have fun, it's required.
P.S. I was pretty excited to find washi tape at Target...! But they call it printed paper tape, those weirdos... jk I love you, Target.
Below is the mini notebook in action a.k.a. the random items that accrue in my bag over the course of a week. I've been carrying around the "Create." mini to write down my bloggy ideas. There's nothing like using old fashioned pen and paper. I feel so productive...
Thank you, Louise, for including me on such a fun project!!